Employee Self Service (ESS) is a secure, password-protected, on-line portal for employees who are paid through the State of Washington central payroll system (Human Resource Management System). ESS is not available for employees of higher education institutions because they manage their own payroll systems.
You can use ESS to:
- Display and print your earnings statements.
- Maintain your permanent address, mailing address, email address, telephone/contact numbers, and emergency contact information.
Employee Self Service (ESS) also includes an optional leave request feature. If your agency has implemented the leave request feature, you can use ESS to manage leave requests and display your leave balances.
- Employees can display their leave balances, leave request history, and manage their leave requests. Leave requests are automatically routed to a supervisor for approval.
- Supervisors can also display team calendars and manage leave approval processes for their teams. Approval status is automatically updated for the employee.
- Agencies using the ESS leave request feature have significantly reduced their paperwork and shortened the turn-around time for leave approval processes. Approved leave requests are automatically posted to the Human Resource Management System (HRMS). Some agency payroll offices have reported up to a 67% reduction for time needed to input leave into HRMS after they implemented ESS leave.
Your agency will work closely with WaTech resources during the implementation process. The time and effort required for implementation will depend on the size of your agency and the complexity of your organizational structures.
Additional resources to assist you in implementing the ESS Leave Tool:
- Position Org Unit Chief
- Organization Unit Create
- Position - Maintain Position to Position Relationship
- Position to Organizational Unit - Maintain
- ESS - Vacant Chief Position